Being a stay-at-home parent can be the equivalent of several full-time jobs put together. If your family has a non-working parent, you should consider how to cover their contributions to the household if something happens to them. If they suffer an illness or injury, or pass away the financial repercussions could still be devastating.  


Here are a few considerations for what you might need to cover if something happens to the stay-at-home parent of the family. 


Replacing the value of their work 

In the event that something happens to the stay-at-home parent, your family may need to make arrangements for all sorts of cover like childcare, transport, and housekeeping. All of these can be costly and together add up to a significant amount. 


If you’re looking to get life or income insurance consider how you might manage financially if something happened to either parent. Life insurance can provide your family with financial security and make sure the expense of replacing their contribution is one less consideration to worry about in a difficult time. 


Covering the mortgage and other expenses 

When something happens to a stay-at-home parent, the family’s expenses might go up due to covering for the work they normally do. Also, the family income may go down as a result of the working parent having to take time off to help out at home. 


Even a non-working parent may be eligible for mortgage cover under your insurance policy to protect the family home. If they pass away, life insurance cover can help the family with debts, savings boosts, or paying for future expenses. 


Coverage of additional household costs 

Your family could be facing large, unexpected costs if the stay-at-home parent gets injured, falls ill, or passes away. You could have to pay for medical treatment, modify your home to accommodate a disability, or cover the costs of a funeral. It could be quite challenging to meet these expenses without any sort of insurance coverage. 


Trauma cover offers some protection by paying out a lump sum if the non-working parent suffers one of the specified illnesses or injuries. Some policies will even pay out early to cover immediate expenses. 


Stay-at-home parents are a significant part of the family unit even from a financial perspective. If you are thinking about taking out insurance, consider carefully what cover is needed for both parents. Getting the right insurance for your situation provides you with the peace of mind that you’re covered in the event of any adverse issues. 


AdviceFirst advisers can help you anticipate your family’s insurance needs now and into the future. To contact our advisers just call 0800 438 238 or email 


AdviceFirst is a Financial Advice Provider (FSP23242).